Municipal Garage The historic structure, a single-story neo-Gothic municipal repair garage built in 1921, shares a party wall with a two-story fire station constructed the same year. Over the decades, the two buildings were separated under different ownerships, the architect led efforts to not only preserve the garage but also to reunite it under common ownership with the already-restored fire station, ensuring the long-separated buildings were once again whole. The project restored the façade to its original grandeur while adaptively reusing the interior as a contemporary office space that reflects the surrounding revitalized downtown. The team meticulously replicated missing terra cotta elements, reconstructed the parapet, carefully removed layers of paint and thoughtfully adapted former garage door bays into modern storefronts. The interior design celebrates the authenticity of the historic architecture while embracing a modern sensibility. The long, rectangular floor plate was organized with central offices and support spaces, bookended by an open reception/work area on one side and a large executive conference room on the other. Existing windows were reglazed, and skylights reopened. Combined with a wide central corridor and glass "borrow-light" panels at interior office walls, daylight floods deep into the space from multiple directions. Tin ceilings, exposed brick walls, and polished concrete floors preserve the building's industrial character along with raw steel door frames, exposed ductwork, and open roof beams that reinforce the honest, utilitarian aesthetic. Custom furnishings and minimalist light fixtures - including bare-bulb chandeliers - add a refined, contemporary layer.
|
Location Owner Contractor Dennis Corr, Owner 307-235-6698 Role Personnel Scope Size Cost
|